Monday, July 2, 2007

Oh the allergies he has ....

My little Bug is 8 1/2 years old and is a #4 for peanuts, chocolate, oranges, milk, eggs, a large amount of trees and grasses, feathers, cats, horses, and a ton of ragweed and such. He was tested for 72 things and he is highly allergic to 57 of the items. He was tested at 5 years 3 months old. He stomach wasn't so strong and we knew about his milk allergy at only 6 months. He could never drink cow milk. We had him on powdered milk for a long time. It was easier on his stomach. His food allergies make him have flu and pneumonia type symptoms for a long time. He was on antibiotics for a long time with no end in sight.

He has been on allergy shots since he was tested. He is also allergic (highly sensitive) to the sun and heat. Hot dogs and 100% juice can make him projectile vomit. Red, orange, and yellow drinks make he vomit. We don't go anywhere without an extra set of clothes. He is the only kid on the playground with a hat and a bottle of water.

Recently he calls his stomach his hurting spot. He has been throwing up and looking so weak for a couple of weeks. We saw his allergist today. We are adding clariton to the medicines he is already taking and reducing his zyrtec in 1/2 to only 5 mg. He had also been able to eat food items with very low doses of egg or milk as long as it was at or very near the end of the food item. So today since his headaches and stomach aches can't even be helped with medicines it is down to a STRICT total elimination. He is already on soy milk and we even cook with it. Anything that needs milk we use soy. I just found a site that gave a recipe for egg. It said to use 1 tsp liquid, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1 tsp of vinegar per egg needed in a recipe. Has anyone tried this?

I feel so overwhelmed all of a sudden. Did I feel this way 2 1/2 years ago? I don't remember. I guess I was but I am so tired of looking at the purple circles under his eyes.

Bug's finger is doing better. It has been 2 weeks now and the dermabond has fallen off. It is healing well but you can't really see the movement in the tip of his finger. We are encouraging him to move his finger as often as possible.

Tired, yet? Bug said the allergist told him not to eat even one drop of milk or eggs. He is so cute and so understanding. Yet such a chicken! LOL!! He wanted to see what was in the attic so while his dad was in the attic, I let him climb the ladder. He barely got his eyes in the attic and explained how freaky it was. LOL!! Down he came and refused to climb again. Whew! He takes so much energy.

3 comments:

ABW said...

My son is allergic to eggs too, so I'll have to try that substitute. Thanks and I hope Bug starts feeling better!

Korin

Leslie said...

My fellas are both allergic to milk. It is amazing to me how many different words there are that mean milk. And how many foods contain milk when you would never suspect it.

Christy said...

Welcome to blogging, Pauline! I too have sons with food allergies and remember all too well the days of wondering, "just what DO I feel these children anyway?" At times it seemed the list that Travis could eat was shorter than the list that he couldn't. Hang in there and know you aren't alone! Check me out at www.croppingchristy.blogspot.com